Little Yurt on the Steppe

On the road to Cyberia I took a wrong turn and ended up on the Great Eastern Plains. Fortunately, a group of Khalkha nomads took me in and taught me the secrets of life on the steppe. Now, I sit in my yurt, eating mutton dumplings and drinking a weak milk tea as I recount my tales of this Mongolian life.

středa, ledna 28

Question for Mr. Bush

Oh to be a member of the White House press corps for a day.

There's a thought that's been on my mind of late and it's suddenly clarified as a question I'd love to ask the president.

See, Colleen has long suggested that Bush wouldn't give up power, even if defeated or forced to yield due to term limits. It's not entirely improbable either, considering A) Bush didn't win the election that saw him installed (yes, that's exactly the right term for it) as president and B) Bush (or at least his puppeteer) has shown a general disinclination to abide by the Constitution (see the Patriot Act, Patriot Act II, Gulf War II, etc., etc.).

So what I'd really like to ask Bush, if only for the potential embarrassment it could provoke on national TV, is: "Mr. President, if you lose the election in November, will you willingly leave office at the end of your term in January?" This might require a follow-up or two to elicit just the right response, but I think it could be instructive.

On a related note, contemplating this, thinking about the Bolshevik Revolution in 1917 and reading about a successful guerrilla war in Cuba in the 1950s, I've been wondering whether it would be appropriate to organize a citizen's militia to stand on guard at the end of Bush's tenure, whenever that might occur (preferably sooner -- much, much sooner -- rather than later), to ensure that the transfer of power actually goes down. Perhaps it's more apropos to appeal to the United Nations for an international peacekeeping force or some similar body to monitor the transition (not to mention the election, good grief). And, again, this is not to suggest that I endorse violence. Just that the more I think about it, the more I think Colleen's onto something with this.

0 Comments:

Okomentovat

<< Home