Little Yurt on the Steppe

On the road to Cyberia I took a wrong turn and ended up on the Great Eastern Plains. Fortunately, a group of Khalkha nomads took me in and taught me the secrets of life on the steppe. Now, I sit in my yurt, eating mutton dumplings and drinking a weak milk tea as I recount my tales of this Mongolian life.

středa, června 22

The only way to save our freedom is to destroy it?

Seems like Congress has no sense of irony, or intelligence, though this should come as no surprise to, well, anyone with a brain. (Offhand I can think of at least 535 people to whom this does not apply.)

Today the House overwhelmingly approved a measure for a constitutional amendment outlawing physical desecration of the flag.

O.K., in fairness, there are some legislators who are smart enough to recognize that this is not only not a pressing issue, but a ridiculous one at that:

"The reason our flag is different is because it stands for burning the flag," Representative Gary L. Ackerman, Democrat of New York, said in a speech on the House floor, wearing a flag-print necktie. "The Constitution this week is being nibbled to death by small men with press secretaries."

I'm just waiting for some genius Republican to herald this erosion of civil liberties and free speech as a victory for freedom. Because nothing screams freedom like restrictions and punishment.

0 Comments:

Okomentovat

<< Home