Little Yurt on the Steppe

On the road to Cyberia I took a wrong turn and ended up on the Great Eastern Plains. Fortunately, a group of Khalkha nomads took me in and taught me the secrets of life on the steppe. Now, I sit in my yurt, eating mutton dumplings and drinking a weak milk tea as I recount my tales of this Mongolian life.

pátek, ledna 21

Haven't they already suffered enough?

Most American groups, including those affiliated with religious organizations, strictly avoid mixing aid and missionary work. But scattered reports of proselytizing in Sri Lanka; Indonesia, which is predominantly Muslim; and India, with large Hindu and Muslim populations, are arousing concerns that the good will spread by the American relief efforts may be undermined by resentment.

From a New York Times piece on the disturbing efforts by religiously affiliated American "aid workers" to proselytize to victims of the Indian Ocean tsunami.

I'm sure getting a bible will serve these people better than rice or potable water. And it'll definitely do wonders to alleviate religious and political tensions that predated the disaster.

0 Comments:

Okomentovat

<< Home