Little Yurt on the Steppe

On the road to Cyberia I took a wrong turn and ended up on the Great Eastern Plains. Fortunately, a group of Khalkha nomads took me in and taught me the secrets of life on the steppe. Now, I sit in my yurt, eating mutton dumplings and drinking a weak milk tea as I recount my tales of this Mongolian life.

úterý, prosince 21

Musings on California

Last week as my seminar was enjoying some libations at our local public house to commemorate the end of the class, one of my classmates remarked upon learning that I was from California that she had won some contest where the prize was a week in Anaheim. Our professor/my adviser, perhaps not realizing that I would brook no offense, inquired whether second prize in this contest was two weeks in California....

As I was walking out of LAX yesterday, I saw a California-themed gift shop peddling t-shirts depicting Ah-nold with the caption "The Governator," which caused me to roll my eyes and wonder the best way to promote the state is really to tout its worst qualities....

Tonight I went to see a flick at the Block, which really is the pit of hell. Every time I go (which admittedly is maybe once a year) there's always a crop of new, poorly conceived stores, like this one I saw tonight, which evidently sold apparel and accessories to make your pets more hip. That'll last....

I would say the one redeeming factor my state was getting to see Lake Tahoe from the air, pristine and chilled, surrounded by snow-capped mountains, but that was from the Nevada side. Oh well, at least the weather's warm.

0 Comments:

Okomentovat

<< Home