Little Yurt on the Steppe

On the road to Cyberia I took a wrong turn and ended up on the Great Eastern Plains. Fortunately, a group of Khalkha nomads took me in and taught me the secrets of life on the steppe. Now, I sit in my yurt, eating mutton dumplings and drinking a weak milk tea as I recount my tales of this Mongolian life.

úterý, prosince 14

There's something in the water

Turns out that metamorphic rocks historically have been the greatest natural resource in the Czech lands:

Pilsen, in what is now the Czech Republic, became a noted practitioneer of lagers, and geology again had a central role in defining the taste. The well water of Pilsen is drawn from a formation of metamorphic rocks, transformed underground by high pressure and heat so that they are almost impermeable. The water slides through cracks, but it draws almost no minerals from the rocks. This mineral-light water enhanced the clean, light taste of the beer, which became known as Pilsener.

From a New York Times article explaining the link between geology and brewing, about better living through chemistry.

0 Comments:

Okomentovat

<< Home