Little Yurt on the Steppe

On the road to Cyberia I took a wrong turn and ended up on the Great Eastern Plains. Fortunately, a group of Khalkha nomads took me in and taught me the secrets of life on the steppe. Now, I sit in my yurt, eating mutton dumplings and drinking a weak milk tea as I recount my tales of this Mongolian life.

pátek, září 10

Mighty schmucked

I'm not sure which part of this story offers the greatest source of amusement.

On the one hand, I find it deeply satisfying that someone has evidently offered Disney $50 million -- the same amount they paid to acquire the Ducks as an expansion franchise in 1992 -- for the team, meaning that the team hasn't had a net appreciation in value in a dozen years. That's hilarious.

But then there's the intriguing possibility of the Ducks being moved. I'm all for it. It's not quite so good as having the franchise contracted and all evidence of it obliterated from the historical record, but it's close. And even more hilarious, and not mentioned in the article, is that if the team was moved to Kansas City to play in the Anschutz group's -- as in Los Angeles Kings co-owner Phillip F. Anschutz -- new arena there, they'd be tenants of the Kings, whose president, incidentally, is the same Tim Leiweke quoted in the story. So, in effect, the Ducks would be indirectly subsidizing the Kings. Which, again, isn't as good as them forking over all their profits as royalties for completely mooching off the Kings to gain a toehold in Southern California, but it's close.

1 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

Actually, you're forgetting that, taking inflation into account, the Ducks would have actually *depreciated* in value since 1992 if they sold for $50 million today.

I think it would be a tragedy if there was no team in that lovely stadium in Anaheim, though.

5:33 odp.  

Okomentovat

<< Home