Little Yurt on the Steppe

On the road to Cyberia I took a wrong turn and ended up on the Great Eastern Plains. Fortunately, a group of Khalkha nomads took me in and taught me the secrets of life on the steppe. Now, I sit in my yurt, eating mutton dumplings and drinking a weak milk tea as I recount my tales of this Mongolian life.

neděle, ledna 4

Brrrr

Damn, it's cold.

Ordinarily I wouldn't whine too much about the wintry weather we're having, except that I have to go outside in it. A lot.

Colleen gets in today. Or at least she's supposed to get in today, assuming the weather doesn't become so severe between Erie, Cincinnati and Chicago to prevent her from flying. Originally she was to get in last night, but the flight out of Erie got scrubbed due to mechanical problems. So instead of getting to come in decent weather, she'll be flying in nice, steady snow.

As for me, I'm to pick her up from the airport. But first, I have to go up to Evanston to drop off my own crap, as I've got enough Christmas gifts and other junk to fill a suitcase, which I'd rather not haul all the way out to O'Hare to meet her with her two suitcases and other assorted luggage. So about the time she leaves Erie I'll leave my apartment, head north 45 minutes on the train, go to her apartment, unload my stuff and wrap presents (I lack tape other than duct at my apartment), then turn around and go back on the El all the way to O'Hare via downtown, which will be about 1 hour, 45 minutes by train. I'll wait around in the airport until she arrives, when we'll collect her luggage and board the train so I can repeat the 1 hour, 45 minute journey but in the opposite direction. All told, I'll be spending a little more than 4 hours riding the train today, in addition to the time transferring between the train and apartments and the airport. I'll be bringing a large book to help occupy myself.

At least at O'Hare I won't have to wait outside at all. That's something to be grateful for, I think.

Also, mercifully this should all end with Colleen and I back at her warm apartment, and that will make it all worthwhile, again, assuming that the weather doesn't foul it up for her travel.

0 Comments:

Okomentovat

<< Home