Little Yurt on the Steppe

On the road to Cyberia I took a wrong turn and ended up on the Great Eastern Plains. Fortunately, a group of Khalkha nomads took me in and taught me the secrets of life on the steppe. Now, I sit in my yurt, eating mutton dumplings and drinking a weak milk tea as I recount my tales of this Mongolian life.

úterý, září 9

AMC = American Movie Crap

This week's sign the apocalypse is upon us, or just that AMC has fallen really far:

I happened to be channel surfing quite late tonight (roughly the 3 to 5 a.m. ET slot) and noticed on the program guide that AMC was showing "Slums of Beverly Hills". I'm serious. This is just terrible for many reasons.

I mean, I know (thanks to Colleen) that AMC has gone downhill since Turner Classic Movies came on the old flick scene and snatched up exclusive rights to most of the good films of bygone eras. Clearly things weren't looking good over at AMC when they started showing films like the two-hour Batman movie adapted from the campy TV series of the sixties.

But to pull this "Slums of Beverly Hills" crap?!? At least Batman could be construed as a classic in a convoluted sense. It's quite old, and also a really hilarious snapshot of cultural sensitivities (read: homophobia) from an earlier era. Not many series can pack that much unintentional humor into a half-hour show (or two-hour movie). We're talking about a series where the writers grew concerned that their audience would make untoward inferences about the sexuality of millionaire playboy Bruce Wayne and his youthful ward Dick Grayson, given that they lived alone, with only the kindly old butler Albert sharing the roof of the posh Wayne estate. Lest anyone think Bruce and Dick preferred the company of men to women, they got the brilliant idea to have elderly Aunt Harriet move in and serve as a chaperone for all those men. Because this ancient, matronly figure in the house just makes all the men get hot and bothered by women. And they meant this seriously!!!! But I digress.

No, showing "Slums of Beverly Hills" just proves that AMC has gone heels over head into the toilet. I mean, the movie is all of five years old and not exactly filled with memorable performances or brilliant writing. It's the sort of movie that looked awful when it was released, so no one bothered seeing and everyone just sort of forgot it was out there. Until AMC paid perfectly good movie for the rights to air it! They should've just aired Billy Mays' greatest hits (everyone loves the Ding King, right?) on loop in that time slot and spared themselves the dough. Or screened dead air. I think you could make a stronger claim that either of those is more qualified to be billed as an "American Movie Classic" than friggin' "Slums of Beverly Hills".

And for the record, I did not watch this movie when it was on. I tried, sort of, but when I flipped the channel it was showing a really long commercial for some kind of pharmaceutical product I should ask my doctor about, so I simply turned off the television and gained 14,000 brain cells for doing it.

0 Comments:

Okomentovat

<< Home