Little Yurt on the Steppe

On the road to Cyberia I took a wrong turn and ended up on the Great Eastern Plains. Fortunately, a group of Khalkha nomads took me in and taught me the secrets of life on the steppe. Now, I sit in my yurt, eating mutton dumplings and drinking a weak milk tea as I recount my tales of this Mongolian life.

neděle, září 7

All good soldiers crack like boulders

Apparently some folks in the U.S. Army are just a bit too humane.

Envious, it seems, of the Marines, the Army plans to inculcate a "warrior ethos" throughout the ranks.

Evidently the Army has "too many soldiers who have lost touch with their inner warrior." While I'd ordinarily approve of displays of sensitivity in such a bellicose field, I'm not sure this is really what's needed.

The real problem is too much specialization. Members of the Army think of themselves first and foremost as a mechanic, cook, officer, etc., instead of the one correct answer: soldier. So, to remedy this obvious shortcoming, the Army has come up with the brilliant solution of having these support people get more marksmanship practice.

Not that it's necessarily unwise, but I don't quite get the idea of trying to make every last medic, technician and bugle boy into Rambo. Whatever happened to that brilliant "Army of One" notion? Guess that's been blown to hell.

0 Comments:

Okomentovat

<< Home