Little Yurt on the Steppe

On the road to Cyberia I took a wrong turn and ended up on the Great Eastern Plains. Fortunately, a group of Khalkha nomads took me in and taught me the secrets of life on the steppe. Now, I sit in my yurt, eating mutton dumplings and drinking a weak milk tea as I recount my tales of this Mongolian life.

čtvrtek, srpna 7

Blocked

So, I've found the perfect job for me. Not for the rest of my working days, but at this juncture in my life, it's the ideal situation for me to be in. It's a researcher job for the AFL-CIO's Institute for Strategic Research. Potentially I could be based out of Chicago, doing research on union campaigns and making pretty damn good money, with benefits.

The problem is, this is the perfect job for me.

Paradoxical though that seems, it makes complete sense. See, because I want this job bad, not just because it would put me in Chicago, but it would be the job I want. More than once I've thought that the job I'd want would be as a research with the AFL-CIO, if it were in Chicago. And now that I've found an opening for just such a position, I'm really excited. But because I don't want this to turn out futilely like all of my previous job applications, I want to put a lot of care and consideration into my attempt. Therein lies the rub.

I know the sort of general ideas and things I want to convey in my cover letter. Things like my extreme enthusiasm for this job, this organization, the labor movement. My passion for research, my ability to think critically and solve problems, my strong theoretical background. And my whole-hearted desire to put all that education and preparation to use. But I can't figure out how to put that to paper. I want to write a gripping cover letter that grabs their attention from the outset and holds it all the way through. But I continue to suffer for a second day from massive writer's block and can't work my way around it.

Argh.

Maybe I'll have a moment of inspiration, or lucidity, and get it out on paper. All I know is that this is the job I want and need, and it's frustrating me to no end to struggle so much with applying for it.

0 Comments:

Okomentovat

<< Home