Little Yurt on the Steppe

On the road to Cyberia I took a wrong turn and ended up on the Great Eastern Plains. Fortunately, a group of Khalkha nomads took me in and taught me the secrets of life on the steppe. Now, I sit in my yurt, eating mutton dumplings and drinking a weak milk tea as I recount my tales of this Mongolian life.

čtvrtek, července 24

Feeling California

I gotta get out of this place
If it's the last thing I ever do


It's becoming rapidly apparent that it's time to sever ties with Southern California. Sure, I still have family here, so I'm not just going to get the hell out of Dodge and never return. But I feel increasingly like that's all that binds me to this place. That and a couple of sports teams.

This will come as something of a surprise to my parents to hear that I don't want to hang around home anymore, but it's just reality. I suppose I could find a job here; I don't really know, as I haven't bothered looking for anything here. But despite the benefits of living at home and cutting expenses for a year or two, thus building up some savings, I have no incentive to stick around. Yes, it's my childhood home, but that's precisely the problem. I'm sort of an adult now.

I need a place and life of my own, independent from my parents. But even that's not the main issue. The fact of the matter is, it'd be stifling, stultifying to live here for another year or two. All I would do is work (assuming I find a job), then come straight home, call my friends in other parts of the country, then got to bed so I could repeat the routine ad infinitum. That wouldn't be particularly fulfilling, and I think it'd gradually kill me, cause my brain to atrophy, drive me insane. Any and all of those.

Argh.

0 Comments:

Okomentovat

<< Home