Little Yurt on the Steppe

On the road to Cyberia I took a wrong turn and ended up on the Great Eastern Plains. Fortunately, a group of Khalkha nomads took me in and taught me the secrets of life on the steppe. Now, I sit in my yurt, eating mutton dumplings and drinking a weak milk tea as I recount my tales of this Mongolian life.

sobota, června 14

Ocean pulling close

Apologies to my readers (there are so many of you, I know) for not updating this more frequently. It just often fails to cross my mind that I've got my own blog these days and I'm going to add new entries to it more often than we see regime change in this country. And, given the time of year this is, and which year it is, I've tended to have quite a bit on my plate of late. I'm really waiting for that preponderance of free time that was supposed to follow both 1) the completion of my thesis and 2) the completion of classes. I just seem to keep finding lots of stuff to do (and there's so much more that I still haven't done yet).

Anyway, it's starting to feel like this really is the end of the line. Finals Week has come and gone, most of the building has moved out for the summer and the rest (save for the 13 either graduating or with permission to stay during Senior Week) have to leave by 6 p.m. tomorrow. It's funny, because while I don't really interact with so many of the people who live in this dorm (not this year), it somehow feels lonelier, less like home, without other inhabitants. It just kind of strange, because I haven't had the same sappy, sentimental feelings of longing about leaving college that I got toward the end of my senior year of high school.

I think I might know, at least in part, why this is. Looking around tonight when we went on the trip to the beer garden (the first official event of Senior Week), I realized that I really don't know or recognize or identify with most of the other graduating seniors. Not anymore, at least. For most of my first two years, I hung out mainly with other people in my grade. But, things changed, friendships soured and I found that my closest friends were all in different grades from me. Some of them graduated two years before me, one graduated last year, a couple will finish next year and a few more the year after. So, in a lot of ways, it's hard for me to get overly sentimental. My friends usually go through these phases of life at different times from me, so there's a certain sense that I'm going through this on my own.

0 Comments:

Okomentovat

<< Home