Little Yurt on the Steppe

On the road to Cyberia I took a wrong turn and ended up on the Great Eastern Plains. Fortunately, a group of Khalkha nomads took me in and taught me the secrets of life on the steppe. Now, I sit in my yurt, eating mutton dumplings and drinking a weak milk tea as I recount my tales of this Mongolian life.

pondělí, května 26

Foo you!

Saw the Foo Fighters tonight. They're one of the few bands I've really wanted to see live but hadn't, till tonight. It was an excellent show; I'd say the best concert I've seen since I was on the floor for U2 two years ago. I've loved their songs since their first, self-titled album came out several years ago, and they're really something to see live. Intensity, showmanship and comedy -- an outstanding combination for a rock show. I also showed my support for the band by shelling out a Jackson for a nifty tour shirt advertising the Foo Fighters taquería. I'll wear it with pride sometime this week.

Highlights of the concert including the opening -- a great teaser where they came out and started playing "One by One" behind a curtain before it dropped as the song gained steam -- frequent, abrupt, sudden pauses to toy with the audience; and Dave Grohl choosing to dedicate a song to himself. Again, just beautiful, intense, rapid, rabid punk rock music.

That was pretty much the highlight of the day. I slept late, accomplished little of note before leaving for the show, then we spent about an hour waiting in line for grub at BK once we returned to the mean streets of Evanston. Tomorrow will be a day of (some) work, so we'll see how that goes.

Song of the Day: "Times Like These" by -- who else? -- the Foo Fighters.

0 Comments:

Okomentovat

<< Home