Little Yurt on the Steppe

On the road to Cyberia I took a wrong turn and ended up on the Great Eastern Plains. Fortunately, a group of Khalkha nomads took me in and taught me the secrets of life on the steppe. Now, I sit in my yurt, eating mutton dumplings and drinking a weak milk tea as I recount my tales of this Mongolian life.

čtvrtek, října 9

Ponderings

So voters in my home state opted to replace the robotic Gov. Gray Davis with Arnold Schwarzenegger, a man who has spent the better part of his career as an action star playing cyborgs?!?!

Work sucks. More specifically, working nine- and 10-hour days bites. Mercifully, our deadline to have all 290-odd bios written, edited and submitted is the end of tomorrow, and we only have four bios to write and 91 to edit. That sounds like a lot, but considering that there are two people working on it and it takes all of five minutes to edit a bio, I anticipate finishing the task in the afternoon, meaning we shouldn't need to stay past quitting time, and with any luck will get out early. It remains to be seen what fun chores they'll reassign us to following this one, but I hope it doesn't entail spending long, late hours doing it. Let's hope not.

Let's also hope I find another job. This one ends at month's end, and while there's the possibility that one of us will get retained permanently, I'm thinking it's pretty doubtful. For one, I think Edward, the other writer, is a lot more likely to get retained, simply because he's been doing it longer (OK, two weeks longer), seems to know the ins and outs more (mainly because he's been here longer, and no one has seen fit to clue me in on things), probably fits their mold better (by which I mean he's always wearing a dress shirt, slacks and dress shoes to my flannel shirt, jeans and tennis shoes, and also tends to stay longer beyond the supposed quitting time of 6 p.m.), etc.

More importantly, I don't particularly want to stick around beyond the end of the month. Commuting an hour each way (it'd be much shorter if the CTA were at all reliable or consistent), getting home after dark, eating dinner past 8, having maybe three or four hours to unwind at home before bed each night -- it's just not my kind of life.

0 Comments:

Okomentovat

<< Home