Little Yurt on the Steppe

On the road to Cyberia I took a wrong turn and ended up on the Great Eastern Plains. Fortunately, a group of Khalkha nomads took me in and taught me the secrets of life on the steppe. Now, I sit in my yurt, eating mutton dumplings and drinking a weak milk tea as I recount my tales of this Mongolian life.

čtvrtek, června 29

More proof that ESPN's ombudsman is a joke

For at least several months, ESPN.com has joined the cavalcade of media organizations and introduced its own ombudsman, George Solomon, to point out the sketchy journalism practices at the self-proclaimed "Worldwide Leader." And some of Solomon's criticisms are on the ball, like his regular harping on using anchors and other "personalities" in commercials for products other than their shows.

But it's very clear that Solomon still doesn't quite get it, like in his reflection on ESPN's coverage of the World Cup.

Aside from a somewhat vague remark about how ESPN's analysts "haven't always been balanced," he really doesn't get at the fundamental issue, which is that they've all been irredeemably biased. Now, maybe that's a product of employing almost exclusively ex-members of the U.S. national team to provide color commentary and studio analysis. But that doesn't excuse their endless use of the "we" pronoun in reference to the current national team, and the thinly veiled rooting for the U.S. in its matches.

Plus, Solomon described the lead broadcast team of Dave O'Brien and Marcelo Balboa as "solid," when in fact Balboa is one of the worst sports commentators I've ever heard. He's prone to contradicting himself (saying a referee was overzealous in issuing bookings, then praising the job the the ref did), and in general he just detracts from my enjoyment of the matches.

I wish I had thought to do like some bars and taverns have evidently done, namely muting the ESPN audio and listening to the match on BBC radio. That would have been much better. Better yet would've been to have just gotten the BBC television feed. If the crumminess of ESPN/ABC's coverage persists, I might have to seek out Univision, Telemundo or whichever station is carrying the Spanish-language broadcasts.

0 Comments:

Okomentovat

<< Home