Little Yurt on the Steppe

On the road to Cyberia I took a wrong turn and ended up on the Great Eastern Plains. Fortunately, a group of Khalkha nomads took me in and taught me the secrets of life on the steppe. Now, I sit in my yurt, eating mutton dumplings and drinking a weak milk tea as I recount my tales of this Mongolian life.

sobota, května 20

Teacher's pest

While scanning the Internet to see if a paper had been plagiarized, I came across a paper site that had an interesting section on plagiarism.

It turns out, lazy, procrastinating students aren't to blame, but rather overworked, "uninformed" teachers who shirk additional mountains of work. See, teachers are really to blame, since we don't require students to turn in outlines, drafts, etc.

Why don't teachers follow these 4 quick and easy steps? Are They overworked? Lets see… How long does it take them to have the students place the papers on their desk? 5 seconds? 10 seconds? So perhaps before a teacher gets on the band wagon of, "Lets kill the evil Free Essay Sites", they can help students not get into a situation where they think plagiarizing is their only choice. Maybe they can look inward and help students not be procrastinators.

Ah, looking inward. That's awfully audacious from a web site that promotes cheating and plagiarism. I especially like the reasoning that it's viable to have students submit all that preliminary work. In my experience, there's seldom enough lead time for students to turn in something like a draft far enough in advance for the teacher to have an opportunity to read it and make comments on it, return it to the student, and give the student enough time to incorporate that feedback into the final product. And I like the assumption that students won't bitch if they have to submit a rough draft without getting any feedback on it.

But what do I know? I'm just a stupid, lazy, uninformed teacher who refuses to look inward when my students plagiarize their papers. Evidently I'd also be too dumb to notice if a student copied a paper from the encyclopedia. Because I was too stupid to catch the students copying large sections of text from Spark Notes and other free essay sites.

1 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

We had to turn in all our preliminary work for our research papers in high school. We got graded to some extent on that work, but I'm fairly certain we didn't get any feedback before the final copy. Besides, it doesn't really matter - you build a better mousetrap, they build a better mouse. The sites selling papers will just sell the outlines, too. When you get down to it, teachers never "force" a student to turn to plagiarism or make it a student's only option. Students are informed of upcoming papers weeks in advance, and at some point, they need to be considered responsible enough not to need constant academic baby-sitting. At least in college, an F has some meaning for plagiarizers.

1:52 dop.  

Okomentovat

<< Home