Little Yurt on the Steppe

On the road to Cyberia I took a wrong turn and ended up on the Great Eastern Plains. Fortunately, a group of Khalkha nomads took me in and taught me the secrets of life on the steppe. Now, I sit in my yurt, eating mutton dumplings and drinking a weak milk tea as I recount my tales of this Mongolian life.

pondělí, ledna 23

Version 2.0

For quite a while I've been mulling creating a new site, probably something centered on a blog, but ideally with other content as well.

The problem with this is that I haven't been able to come up with a theme. I've been kicking around some ideas, but I don't know if I'm sold on any of them.

One difficulty I keep encountering is trying to decide what I want my blog to be. I could try to do some sort of running social and political commentary, but that would require me to be more up on current events and to scour a much wider array of news sources than I'm currently doing. Not to mention, there are other blogs probably doing a better job filling this niche.

So that's probably out.

Other obvious ideas that come to mind include something to do with my current Czech and Slovak history (this probably wouldn't be a very successful idea since there just aren't that many people literate in English likely to take an intense interest). Or I could write mainly about being a graduate student, which certainly lends itself to a wider audience, but not that wide. Or, maybe I should just more or less keep the stream-of-consciousness format I currently have, though that seems unsatisfying to me somehow. I'm not really sure. Maybe there's a great idea floating out there that just hasn't crossed my mind yet.

Then there's the matter of a format. Ideally this would follow from the theme. But maybe it will work the other way round. I don't know.

So far I've come up with only a couple of half-baked notions. One is to title it something like "The Ivory Tower," which would be appropriate since I'm a graduate student with intellectual pretensions. Then again, "The Ivory Tower" just seems kind of lame. The other one is probably even less conceived, little more than a title, "My Empire of Dirt." I keep contriving rationales for it, like that it corresponds to being apropos of a graduate student living at or below the poverty line, so I don't really have much. But really it's just homage to Trent Reznor, and I feel like I'm a bit old to be doing that, even though I know I'll never fully outgrow my fascination with Nine Inch Nails.

Anyway, I invite feedback on this, though I wouldn't necessarily expect any major developments on the new site front for a few months.

0 Comments:

Okomentovat

<< Home