Little Yurt on the Steppe

On the road to Cyberia I took a wrong turn and ended up on the Great Eastern Plains. Fortunately, a group of Khalkha nomads took me in and taught me the secrets of life on the steppe. Now, I sit in my yurt, eating mutton dumplings and drinking a weak milk tea as I recount my tales of this Mongolian life.

pátek, prosince 30

That must be why they changed the name from Humanitarian Bowl

I can't speak for everyone, but I know many folks, including some from Idaho, who think of the state as a bastion of white supremacy. Incidents like Ruby Ridge and other militia and paramilitary groups hunkered down in the state don't help dispell such impression for most folks. Nor, for that matter, do ethnically and racially insensitive comments at one of the state's big events of the year.

At a banquet Monday night before the MPC Computers Bowl between the Eagles and Boise State, {MPC Computers CEO] Mike Adkins read a list of the top 10 things Boise and Boston have in common, including, "No one in either city can properly pronounce Mathias Kiwanuka." Adkins mispronounced Kiwanuka's name in the punchline and some Boston College players said later they found the joke insulting and disrespectful.

Kiwanuka is the grandson of Uganda's first prime minister, assassinated by mass-murdering dictator Idi Amin. Adkins apologized to Kiwanuka in a statement Thursday.


Stay classy, Idaho.

0 Comments:

Okomentovat

<< Home