Little Yurt on the Steppe

On the road to Cyberia I took a wrong turn and ended up on the Great Eastern Plains. Fortunately, a group of Khalkha nomads took me in and taught me the secrets of life on the steppe. Now, I sit in my yurt, eating mutton dumplings and drinking a weak milk tea as I recount my tales of this Mongolian life.

středa, prosince 7

Here's a change

It's not every day I find myself wanting to defend Dubya. In fact, I believe this would be the first time.

Rather shockingly, the official White House greeting cards this year contain a generic holiday greeting, rather than wishing a "Merry Christmas."

That's surprisingly tolerant and inclusive, especially coming from such a born again who routinely milks opportunities to invoke his religion whenever possible. After all, he didn't really stop to consider other people's beliefs when he tried to shift social programs to "faith-based initiatives," or when he pushed for "abstinence-only education [sic]," so why start now, and here?

It's mystifying. But the best part is, he seems to have really pissed off the hardcore evangelical right, which is having a conniption.

The key passage, without doubt, is the following:

Bush "claims to be a born-again, evangelical Christian. But he sure doesn't act like one," said Joseph Farah, editor of the conservative Web site WorldNetDaily.com. "I threw out my White House card as soon as I got it."

That would have to also rate as a first. Not too many folks capable of transcending their prejudices would make such a preposterous claim that Dubya hasn't acted like a born-again. Some might argue that Bush hasn't behaved in a way very befitting of a Christian ("I think it's more important to put Christ back into our war planning than into our Christmas cards," quipped the Rev. Bob Edgar, a former Democratic congressman).

If the Religious Right is so offended by having this "un-Christian" greeting foisted upon them, then maybe it's just for them to get a taste of what it's like for the non-Christian part of the country to have an evangelical agenda rammed down their throats all the time.

Besides, it's not like most folks celebrate Christmas in a fashion that seems to particularly stress Christ. Unless you consider mad shopping sprees and crass consumerism emblematic of a man who thought the poor more virtuous than the rich. (Or maybe not.)

So I guess I should wish the Bushes a happy holiday as well.

1 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

However, you assume it's actually Dubya sending the Christmas card, rather than some anonymous (and possibly non-Christian) intern working in an obscure White House cube. Give credit where credit's due!

9:04 odp.  

Okomentovat

<< Home