Little Yurt on the Steppe

On the road to Cyberia I took a wrong turn and ended up on the Great Eastern Plains. Fortunately, a group of Khalkha nomads took me in and taught me the secrets of life on the steppe. Now, I sit in my yurt, eating mutton dumplings and drinking a weak milk tea as I recount my tales of this Mongolian life.

pátek, února 18

What's wrong with this picture

The Times has piece on the Brothers Schieffer, Bob, the designated interim successor for Dan Rather's seat as CBS anchor, and Tom, friend and former business of President Bush and newly appointed ambassador to Japan. The brothers are eminently confident their brotherly bond won't infringe upon their professional obligations.

Bob in particular is confident he can main the appearance of objectivity, no conflict of interest, etc., pointing to his deft maneuvering as a journalist on the issue of personal politics and partisanship:

"I like to tease people," he said. "I'll say, 'Do you think I'm a Democrat or a Republican?' I'll say, 'I believe in the death penalty, so that makes me a conservative, right?' Then I say, 'Yeah, but I'm also pro-choice. I guess that makes me a Democrat.' "

This is supposed to be encouraging? Since when does objectivity equates neutrality only on the issue of partisan membership. I guess being a registered independent covers all. Or not.

Honestly, what an idiot. He'll evidently take his party preference to the grave but has no qualms about volunteering his opinions on two hot button issues for one of the country's biggest newspapers. How is that any better?

Needless to say, I don't foresee CBS News getting past that whole credibility problem any time soon.

0 Comments:

Okomentovat

<< Home