Little Yurt on the Steppe

On the road to Cyberia I took a wrong turn and ended up on the Great Eastern Plains. Fortunately, a group of Khalkha nomads took me in and taught me the secrets of life on the steppe. Now, I sit in my yurt, eating mutton dumplings and drinking a weak milk tea as I recount my tales of this Mongolian life.

středa, února 23

Shameless plug

Credit UW President Mark Emmert for paying no mind to proper use of the campuswide listserv to boost his own ego.

The following is from an actual e-mail he sent to the entire UW community this evening:

This message is being sent to all Faculty, Staff, and Students by
pres@u.washington.edu, with approval President Mark A. Emmert.

To: The Campus Community

Dear Colleagues:

Unfortunately, the Seattle P.I. printed an erroneous headline in the paper
version of this morning's edition. This erroneous headline reads:
"Everyone Benefits from I-200." The paper has corrected this error in the
on-line version, which you will find below. The correct headline now
reads: "Changing Initiative 200 is a worthy cause."

Sincerely,

Mark Emmert
President


And then he appended the entire text of his op-ed piece. I won't bother to link to it here. It was basically arguing in favor of affirmative action at the UW, which is a good thing, and at least makes me confident Emmert isn't as big a jackass as Harvard Prez Lawrence Summers, but still.

Blatant misuse of the listserv, especially when you consider Emmert's ego shouldn't need too much stroking, given that he's already the highest paid president at a public university, earning $762,000 this year.

You'll note that his compensation includes a "car allowance" of $12,000, which is, sadly, as much as the UW sees fit to pay its entry-level TAs.

Alas.

0 Comments:

Okomentovat

<< Home