Little Yurt on the Steppe

On the road to Cyberia I took a wrong turn and ended up on the Great Eastern Plains. Fortunately, a group of Khalkha nomads took me in and taught me the secrets of life on the steppe. Now, I sit in my yurt, eating mutton dumplings and drinking a weak milk tea as I recount my tales of this Mongolian life.

pondělí, února 21

Is this Yurp?

This is rich. Dubya lecturing Putin on democracy,as he called on Russia to "renew a commitment to democracy and the rule of law."

Because it's far better to try to subvert democracy, whether that of your own country or of another, subtly, say with the connivance of a brother who governs a province of considerable electoral weight, than to just make naked grabs for authoritarian power. No, wait, Dubya's done that, too.

And certainly appointing a defender of extralegal methods of interrogation to the top law enforcement position shows profound respect for the rule of law. Maybe America isn't as arbitrary as Russia, but that doesn't mean it isn't still arbitrary.

[Also note the author of this piece incorrectly cited the last name of Timothy Garton Ash, an illustrious, influential and insightful historian and sometimes journalist of contemporary Europe and the former Eastern bloc as "Mr. Ash" when it properly should've been "Mr. Garton Ash." Quibbles, perhaps, but it's still inexcusable.]

Anyway, this bodes well for Bush's scheduled meeting with Putin in Bratislava on Thursday. As a U.S. citizen, I must regretfully and profusely apologize to the great Slovak nation for being subjected to such an American nincompoop so disrespectful of Slovakia and its people. If it's any consolation, I'm sure the meeting won't happen because Bush will end up in Ljubljana and meet a most hostile reception from the people of Slovenia for having once more affronted their national pride.

Or perhaps he'll cause a major international incident by mistaking Slovenia for Slavonia.

At least the official stamp for the summit appropriately looks like a poster for a pro wrestling-style smackdown.

1 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

I doubt he's heard of Slavonia. I hadn't heard of Slavonia, and I date an Eastern Europe wonk.

11:10 odp.  

Okomentovat

<< Home