Little Yurt on the Steppe

On the road to Cyberia I took a wrong turn and ended up on the Great Eastern Plains. Fortunately, a group of Khalkha nomads took me in and taught me the secrets of life on the steppe. Now, I sit in my yurt, eating mutton dumplings and drinking a weak milk tea as I recount my tales of this Mongolian life.

středa, května 26

Fatiguable

Never again will I take a red-eye flight. Well, at least not if I have to then put in a full day at work a couple of hours after getting home.

Now, I won't say it was a mistake to have flown overnight back to Chicago from L.A., as it afforded me the maximum amount of time possible to spend at home and with Colleen and my parents while only knocking off work for three days. But I do regret not somehow managing to cram in a few hours of deep sleep in an actual flat bed, as opposed to spotty napping in a cramped, slightly reclined economy-class airplane seat on American Airlines. (More room throughout coach my ass.)

Predictably, I struggled through work yesterday. My body did not take too kindly to only getting to sleep on the plane, and it wasn't helped by the fact that we boarded the aircraft about half an hour late and got into Chicago late, thus forcing me to stay up later than expected and to not get back to my apartment in time to catch the short nap I was hoping for. Thus, I endured low-level, dull fatigue headaches periodically. And I kept finding my eyelids getting very heavy during the morning. At lunch in the conference room, I kept nodding off in the middle of my book. I think at one point I even dozed for several minutes, before waking in a start and discovering that my lunch hour was up. However, a caffeine infusion after lunch got me through till 5 o'clock.

I did well to get to bed at my normal targeted bed time of 11:45 p.m. last night, which ensured I'd get eight solid hours of sleep. But I still felt very tired when my alarm went off, and that feeling never quite left me throughout the day. Once more, I found myself nodding off sporadically in the morning, and again at the lunch table. But at least I busied myself enough in the afternoon to stay awake and relatively alert. Though I wasn't expecting to fight such a battle today.

Hopefully when I get another eight hours of sleep tonight I'll finally feel rested and up to a full day. And if not, there's a nice long holiday weekend just around the corner when I can gleefully and guiltlessly sleep to my heart's content.

In the meantime, it's just about time for me to hit the hay. And in about eight hours it'll be time for me to once again curse having to work. At least I only have 65 more days to go.

0 Comments:

Okomentovat

<< Home