Little Yurt on the Steppe

On the road to Cyberia I took a wrong turn and ended up on the Great Eastern Plains. Fortunately, a group of Khalkha nomads took me in and taught me the secrets of life on the steppe. Now, I sit in my yurt, eating mutton dumplings and drinking a weak milk tea as I recount my tales of this Mongolian life.

neděle, května 23

Letting freedom ring

What a country!

Colleen and I got to tonight's Angels game with only a few minutes to spare before the first pitch. I wanted to get to our seats in time to watch the players take the field, so I was leading us toward our seats out in the right field terrace at a brisk pace. Shortly after we passed through the turnstiles and reached the concourse, the "Star-Spangled Banner" began playing. Knowing this meant the start of the game was imminent, we redoubled our efforts to reach our seats.

That went well till one usher held up his hand and directed us to stop. He gestured in the general direction of the field, or the video screen, or the North Pole, then said, "That's the national anthem, do you keep walking during the national anthem?"

"Sure," I replied.

"I guess it's a free country," he retorted as he stepped aside.

The moral of the story is: Freedom is being told what to do.

0 Comments:

Okomentovat

<< Home