Little Yurt on the Steppe

On the road to Cyberia I took a wrong turn and ended up on the Great Eastern Plains. Fortunately, a group of Khalkha nomads took me in and taught me the secrets of life on the steppe. Now, I sit in my yurt, eating mutton dumplings and drinking a weak milk tea as I recount my tales of this Mongolian life.

sobota, října 9

Real stupid

In case you missed it, the MLS expansion franchise in Salt Lake City (you heard that right) will be named "Real Salt Lake".

The name is meant to conjure up notions of the highly successful and popular Spanish club Real Madrid, owner Dave Checketts said.

"We talked a lot about mascot names -- names you can't tell if it's arena football or indoor lacrosse," Checketts said. "I wanted a soccer name. I wanted to make sure that when people heard it around the country they knew that it was soccer. And I kind of liked the way RSL rolls off the tongue."

Sure, it's a soccer name. But how many people in Utah, let alone this country, will actually pronounce "Real" correctly? Can we start a pool on this?

0 Comments:

Okomentovat

<< Home