Little Yurt on the Steppe

On the road to Cyberia I took a wrong turn and ended up on the Great Eastern Plains. Fortunately, a group of Khalkha nomads took me in and taught me the secrets of life on the steppe. Now, I sit in my yurt, eating mutton dumplings and drinking a weak milk tea as I recount my tales of this Mongolian life.

neděle, února 29

Killing my TV

Why can't anyone make my life simple? All week, ESPN's NHL page has had a TV listing for this very afternoon, when one of two games will be aired, either the Pittsburgh-New York Islanders game I don't care to see or the second half of a home-and-home between the Kings and the Ducks that I'd love to watch.

Coverage is regionalized, which means the western part of the country will get the Kings-Ducks and the eastern part will suffer through Penguins-Islanders. However, there's no obvious or easy way to ascertain just where Chicago is situated for the purposes of this dichotomization. Geographically, we're closer to both Pittsburgh and New York than to Southern California. But from a hockey standpoint, Chicago's NHL club, the Blackhawks, play in the Western Conference, along with the Kings and Ducks, whereas the Pens and Isles both play in the Eastern Conference.

A few weeks ago, a similar situation arose involving two sets of teams I had a casual interest in watching, and I believe we got the western (or further-western) game. However, for my viewing convenience, ESPN saw fit to put up a nifty color-coded map that broke down which regions of the country would see which game.

Alas, they don't see fit to do that for today.

Compounding the problem is that I can't find a general TV listing anywhere that clarifies the picture. They just repeat the same business about how ESPN is showing NHL hockey this afternoon, and that it's going to be either Kings-Ducks or Pens-Isles. Which, of course, I didn't already know. Argh.

Perhaps this is just an academic exercise, or one that would be in vain regardless. Since I don't have cable TV in my own apartment (at least as of yet), I'd have to trek up to Colleen's early enough in the afternoon to watch. I may do that regardless. But it seems certain that I'm only going to find out which game is on the air here by waiting till 3 p.m. and tuning into ESPN to see the surprise.

Oh the suspense of it all.

0 Comments:

Okomentovat

<< Home